Monday 9 August 2010

A less than perfect start

My first 24 hours in Hanoi haven't exactly gone according to plan. Instead of a very basic guest house nearby to a Buddhist pagoda, I am writing this from a 4* hotel lobby and have spent the first day orientating myself by taking a lot of taxis around moped-crazy streets, visiting the British Embassy & local Vietnamese police station and phoning home (a lot).

Yep, last night after a very comfortable and smooth 18 hour journey I took a "taxi" to my accommodation. Everything seemed legitimate and airport-taxi-esq, but it couldn't have been less so. A bustle and curfuffle later and I was unceremoniously kicked out of my fake cab in the middle of a busy street and made my way to a hotel to ask for help. The majority of my money and my passport (with all those shiny visas) had been stolen. It was a convincing and clever, clever scam, and by the time I realised it was arealy too late, and it was also a pretty frightening experience, one which replayed in my head many times before sleep came.

I am okay. I am not hurt and the staff at the hotel have gone out of their way to help me. A new passport will be issued within 2 weeks and the visas after that (because getting them the first time wasn't fun enough) and everything is insured. They didn't take my beautiful camera or my ipod with my million audiobooks (which makes me really happy). I have only lost some money, which is just monety, and yesterday was just a day.

Last night I was pretty shaken up, but today is better and I am determined to follow through on the rest of the trip, perhaps spending less time in Mongolia, and probably also less time in 4* hotels.

So whilst I have little "everything's amazing!!" news to report, I thought I'd tell you about my trip to a vietnamese police station. It wasn't particularly funny, but I did appreciate the absurdity, and so I'll share. The police station we had to go to was determined by the location the crime was committed. A very nice man from the hotel accompanied me through the monsoon rain (in a taxi) to be my translator. I wrote out my statement in English, which he then translated and gave to the policeman. The policeman conducted the interview through the translator and set about creating my official crime report letter, from a blank sheet of A4 he later stamped to officially verify. All those hours wasted on LPC Criminal Litigation (and youtube eastenders clips - thanks Terrence) gave me a good benchmark for comparison of procedure, but little else.

The police station itself was a building about the size of a large house, with imposing iron fencing, gates and tall flags surrounding the perimeter, and then a wood and glass front door I'm sure you could easily kick down. The door remained open and the large entrance room, which is where I was interviewed, was furnished with a large dark-wood desk, some military-style metal cupboards, some chairs, oh, and a rail attached to the wall to which two prisoners were handcuffed. I was ushered to a seat about 2ft away from this sturdy lock-up and for well over an hour sat with Uncle Ho (of Ho Chi Mihn City) staring down at me from above the clock.
There was also a side room in which sat 3-4 smoking policemen and a large TV. From time to time they wandered in and (I found out later) discussed whether I had dyed my hair (relevant) and then took a break from being detectives and sat down to have a smoke.

Back in the lap of luxury I got back to phoning insurance companies, banks, etc and with a lot of help from my parents and sister things are back on track. I am moving into my long-term accommodation tomorrow and will start at the orphanage the day after. On Saturday 6 more volunteers move into the house, which I am looking forward to, and tomorrow I am being met by someone who has already been in Hanoi a week.

This was always going to be a challenge, and the last 24 hours have been more challenging than expected. I am still committed to what I want to do during the next 4 months though, and with a few alterations and a new healthily skeptical perspective, I am optimistic about all that I am going to learn and experience.
I am still a bit wobbly, but tomorrow I meet the group of people I am going to be living and working with, and so I hope my next post will be full of joy and excitement.

With lots of love to you all, and gratitude for your support!

P.S. Apologies for the many spelling errors, the internet here is timed so I don't have time to check back through my speedy typing.

P.P.S. I did think about taking a photo of the police station to supplement my description, but it is illegal to photograph military estabilshments and I don't think deportation is the way to round off the last pretty tiring day!

10 comments:

  1. This part wasn't on the Itinerary ... one of those things you cannot plan for ... that catch you unaware .... however .... as I said before you left - it is how you deal with the experiences that make them life changing or life impeding ... and we all are so very very proud of you. You found the inner strength now feed it with constant reminders that this becomes a good cocktail or dinner story .... but the beautiful person that you are has grown and will continue to grow beyond and from it. Bad things happen to good people. And that was lost was just paper. One experience can never represent a country or its people - and in 24 hours you have experienced both sides of the coin :)

    I watched the film Invictus recently ... yeah, yeah I know .. another overcoming circumstance ....losers into winners ..... but actually there is a lot of life choice in what I view :) I paste the poem for your encouragement ....because you are a winner!!! Much love

    Invictus

    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

    Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

    William Ernest Henley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tammy,

    As an educated,well rounded young adult, I'm sure you are more than aware of the inequities of the world we live in...the paradox...the irony...the deceipt..but you also have a grounding in looking for the good, to love mercy, to serve the widow and the orphan, to seek the higher good..and despite your harrowing immersion into the third world, I know good will come from it- hang in there! :) xxxx Amy Simmons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Tammy

    Best of luck on your amazing journey. An unplanned start ... but part of the story and you have coped so well, looking forward to meeting your fellow volunteers and moving on. Well done and good wishes for the next chapter in the story.

    best wishes from Tanya (via your Mum's facebook).

    ReplyDelete
  4. A hard but probably well timed lesson to learn Tam. Most of us brought up in Britain have no idea how hard it is in other parts of the world -I know when Jeff was in Africa he discovered this. I have absolutely no doubt that what has happened now will prove to be beneficial to you in the course of your future travels and the level of scepticism and mistrust that you have gained will protect you from potentially worse situations.

    So chin up, take a deep breath and step out again with that inner strength still intact. Looking forward to reading your reations to working with little people!

    much love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not quite the start you had in mind but one which I'm sure as many have said will learn from and be able to look back one day and say "Hey, I got through that!" On the positive side the kindness you have received from all those who have helped you...and particularly those who were strangers 36 hours ago...is something that will remain with you for a very long time. Just remember there are far more good guys than bad! All that said...you have my total and complete admiration for your strength of character and determination to continue. It is all too often far easier to roll over and let the bad guys win. No one can begin to imagine how the experiences of the next few months will shape your life. But I do know that you will create memories to last a lifetime. Your mum may gain a few grey hairs....but hey, there's a few boys out there who gave her a few more!!...And before I get an abusive text....no Helen, I haven't spotted any....you cover them well :):)
    Stay strong, stay safe, and have the most amazing time!
    Kerry xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Ros Lee "I also tried to post on her blog to say I think she is amazing and to keep her chin up and have a good time."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Other comments posted to my Facebook wall for you are ....

    Neil Holley "Always thinking of, and praying for, our extended family!! Special thoughts and special HUGS "

    Jackie Gunningham: ". . sending positive thoughts to tamara be strong we are all behind u xxx"

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you, thank you, thank you!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy,

    That is totally shit! I'm not very touchy-feely, but that totally makes me want to give you a hug. If you decided to come to India at all, let me know.

    Also if you need more contacts in Vietnam, my housemate's sister lived there for years. I also know lots of people who live in weird places. If you send me your itinerary, I will try and dig up contacts for you in the various places.

    The upside is that if you can deal with this, the rest will be easy and you will have an amazing time. You aren't going to Thailand are you - I know lots of people there.

    Take care and lots and lots of love

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tam! I'm glad you are safe and as you say it was only paper-praying for you! I know you will be strong and this adventure with it's peaks and troughs will be amazing! I look forward to your visit at christmas when I can hear all your stories over a glass of wine!! X x

    ReplyDelete