Thursday 12 August 2010

Xin Chao!

I think I should start by thanking you for all of your loving thoughts and messages which have made me smile a lot! I'm sorry that it is proving so difficult to post to the blog wall, but Mum seems to be doing a pretty effiicient job of relaying messages, so I'd stop trying if I were you ;)

So, Hanoi. The start, as you can imagine has been pretty tough. Although the hotel was nice, and the staff were friendly, it was pretty lonely and the western feel and TV channels were making me pretty home sick. Logistics wise, I have applied for a new passport which should be with me some time next week, and then I can start applying for various visas all over again - in Vietnamese (?) I have had lots of offers of help from various people and so I am hopeful that the process will be smooth. If not, I'm going to cry pathetically and tell each embassy about my ordeal until they take pity on me, preferably before I find myself at the border. I'm a good feminist.

The last few days have been better and better. On Tuesday I moved into my accommodation (called STV - short term volunteer house) which, although (very) basic, is pretty homely and is apparently always pretty full of volunteers from various programmes. At the moment there are 5 people staying, from Korea and Japan, all English speaking and very friendly and welcoming! On Sunday, they are leaving and 6 new volunteers are moving in, mainly from the UK I think. The Pagoda Orphanage programme has been slow to get off of the ground because the main organiser is not in Hanoi at the moment and no one else really seems to have a clue about what I am supposed to be doing. I have visited the Pagoda once, which was on the first day of the month by the Chinese callendar and so it was full of local people coming to worship and make donations. The buildings are so beautiful and it's right on the river, so very peaceful. I imagine that I will start there full time on Monday with the new volunteers.

This morning I was teaching English to a boy called Fu. It was a really great experience actually, and I enjoyed, and picked it up quicker than I thought I would. He was really enthusiastic and wanted to keep going until he abruptly closed his book and said "Enough. Tired now." The lady who ran this orphanage was so warm and friendly and gave me a huge hug and kiss as I left to say thank you.

Yesterday morning I was also teaching English, less successfully and to younger children, in a school which has been set up for children who live in a nearby river-settlement. I went to visit the settlement to see for myself and felt quite shocked and uncomfortable in seeing and learning that the children I had been teaching that morning lived in, what are essentially, floating rafts with structures erected for shelter, the road to which was litter-strewn.

With all my English "teaching" I thought it would be good to try and learn some Vietnamese. Hard. Very hard! I think (and hope) the few key phrases that I have picked up are being remembered and pronounced correctly, but getting beyond, "how much", "thank you" and "nice to meet you" is proving a challenge. A girl took me through the alphabet this morning - which I had a hard enough time pronouncing most of the time, let alone remembering and utilising. I'm going to keep at it though, and imagine I should have the northern dialect nailed by the time I get to Ho Chi Mihn - which I am told is effectively a different language altogether! Nobody here speaks with, or understands a southern dialect, and so I can't do too much about that now.

I think I have, however, gotten to grips with the currency, and I'm enjoying the food more than anticipated. I haven't come across cooked dog yet (that I know of) but I have seen a few gorgeous strays wandering around, and it's quite hard to not pet them and make friends. Don't worry - Rabies bad, I know, but sooo cuuute!!

Other than that, I have been on quite a few busses (Jenni, Nicola - Barbados has nothing on Hanoi busses!) and have also been whizzing around the city on the back of a moped, which was fantastic!! If you've seen the Top Gear episode, it's a pretty accurate portrayal, but more fun when you're not in an armchair!

 Righty, I think I've abused the air-con enough now.

9 comments:

  1. Right, so I know that I've just spoken to you but I'm going to take this chance and get the FIRST comment!! Mum has just woken up so I better type fast!!!
    Right well a few dates for you to remember::
    Thursday 19th Is my results day - however I feel pathetic going down there to pick up one result so I'm going to wait for them to come in the post on the Friday!!
    Thursday the 26th is my brum brum test!! Eeeek!! I start that on Friday 20th on August and all the way up to the following friday!!
    Saturday 28th/Sunday 29th (Bank Holiday weekend) I am out Club chapliencing (and no doubt being abused and shouted at by drunks! yey!)
    Wednesday 1st September I have my eye operation at 10:30am! (ahhhhh) and then the Orthondicts in the afternoon (boooo - there goes eating for another week!!)
    Monday 6th September (fingers crossed) I will start back at dancing.. yey!
    Monday 13th September I'm back to college! Which I am much looking forward too (I think only to the fact I have got a head of myself) I'm aiming to have all my coursework for the next year done (well not completed but have my first drafts done) before I go back on the 13th... as well as reading another 5 books (no doubt to me as torturous as Wuthering Heights) and re-do my English coursework, revise and relearn the Law and History and English that I didn't sit (STUPID DENTISTS!!)

    Other than that nothing much to tell apart from how I love my job. This will make you chuckle - A lady yesterday who had about £80 in £10 notes in her purse thought she didn't have enough to pay so she got out her cheque book - Guess how much her bill was? £13.21 Loony bins I tell you! We have a few interesting characters - "Ducker and Diver" well no need for an explanation there!!

    Well I've abused...hmm... (I was aiming to finish how you did but I can't be that witty at 9:30 in the morning!! Damn it!)... I need to go and read Wuthering Heights... There we go! Adios big sister xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohooo! I've finally got a working computer and can post. Well, ok, my troubles are few at the moment, though the computer systems at work are a little irksome. I'm glad you're a little more settled now. Good luck with the language. It sounds challenging, even harder than Welsh!

    Anyway, all in all it sounds very exciting and I am soo jealous. Looking forward to the next installment.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! This IS the part of the journey you signed up for ... this part of you life you can call 'exploring and enjoying' ...... amazing, brilliant, wonderful you! Go and spoil yourself ... do some clothes shopping .... snap a million pictures .....

    A googled helpful phrase to have ....

    Tinh vi nó vừa vừa thôi nhá!
    [There is a limit to my tolerance of your shrewdness, you know!]

    It denotes something like: "You are being too calculating!" :D...
    Source(s): A native Annamese.

    Trust that is what it does say!!

    Now Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chuc Mung Sinh Nhat! - Happy Birthday!!!

    Wishing you the happiest of birthdays - may your birthday in Vietnam be one of the most special, most wonderful and most precious birthday celebrations ... go on spoil yourself!

    Happy Birthday beautiful!

    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Tammie!! So glad things are going well. Have the most amazing day!!! Kerry xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that things are falling into place - I totally empathise with you about the difficulties of pronouncing any Asian language, but I can assure you: after a few weeks you'll get used to hearing it and you will suddenly realise that it is doable!
    There are so many more things that I would like to write and to ask you, but I've noticed that my first experience of communicating through a blog makes me a bit shy. I will try to overcome this, but maybe there are other ways of communicating with you - e.g. do you read emails?
    But basically what I want to tell you is that I think about you a lot and am sending you all the positive vibrations I have. I'm seriously impressed with your strength in coping with everything and sooo relieved that you didn't get harmed on that first day.
    I am manickly packing for Amsterdam and trying to get some reading done...I've suddenly realised that I will be there in less than a week! And of course there are still tons of administrative issues to settle, but you know well how it goes ;)
    Have a fantastic time and happy belated birthday (I know, total failure: even with the time change I'm still late).
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Tammy- glad to hear things are going well for you again! Happy Birthday also- I hope you were brave enough to tell lots of people in Vietnam!

    How are the other people you are staying/volunteering with?

    Don't forget to keep updating the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tam, although I spoke to you yesterday - I forgot to update your blog messages with wishes for A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Doh! Silly me.
    Do hope you had a lovely day, despite being as tired as you sounded?
    Anyway I hope that next time you log on you'll find my invitation to my blog. As I said it's only for you at the moment, it seemed the best way to post pictures without loading up your email with too much stuff. I've called it...
    PHOTO LOG
    "To see the world in a grain of sand..."
    and you should find it via cfiona.studio8b@googlemail.com
    As I said at the beginning - I really have no idea about how this all works, and for all I know I may have missed out some vital information!
    I've also precised some of my TEFL lesson tips which may/or may not be of some help.
    Well, that's it for now. Looking forward to the next installment of Freckles in a foreign land - just brilliant.
    love'npeas 'tantie fi xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just discovered two blog posts at once that I had missed - double joy for me! Hope you had an awesome birthday (I felt that a tacky box would take up too much room in your bag but please name the monkey something Vietnamese) Visiting the pagoda sounds amazing - can't wait to hear more tales of you soaking in the culture. Mssing you lots but glad to hear that your adventure is rolling along more smoothly!
    so much love, Nicola xxx

    ReplyDelete